I paint silk, throw pots and collage poetry books & cards in my enchanted adobe studio in Pilar, New Mexico.

At the Sacred Heart Cafe, I make art to feed the hungry heart. Open all night, a warm place to wander and browse, savor and enjoy.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Chuppah Design Part 1, Pencil and Ink Rough



Here are my pencil and ink drawings. I had to tape together paper to create a 44" x 44" surface for the drawing. The inked drawing will become the pattern I will use to transfer the drawing to the silk. The scale is difficult to convey in these photos. This drawing covers my entire drawing table. I had to rotate it 90 degrees to work on each quadrant because I couldn't reach far enough over to the other side of the table.

Just looking at the inked drawing I now notice that I did not finish the arc of the earth that the Peace Angel is holding. I'll ink that in next, and I think I will emphasize the "point" of her wings in order to emphasize a heart shape. I'm also going to add a spiral before and after "Peace in our world" in order to balance the calligraphy.

This is the first time I have used a web photo to view my design process, and make changes based on what I see on the screen. Very different from my usual approach for larger pieces (draw it. . .walk away for awhile. . .put it up on a vertical surface. . .squint my eyes. . . make changes...put it up on the wall again....).

No comments:

PattyMara's Sacred Heart Cafe's Fan Box

Micaceous Clay Pottery from DolphinSmile Studio

Micaceous Clay Pottery from DolphinSmile Studio
click on the photo to go to my online shop for mica clay cups, bowls, Sacred Hearts and jewelry

The Value of Play in Creativity

"The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves."

C. G. Jung